Monday, January 12, 2009

Long time overdue...maybe like a month or so

Soooooooooo... where to begin? I suppose I`ll have to give you the run down later because I actually need to go to a party!!!! There`s a fiesta in Yautepec tonight and I`m going with Gabby, La Doña (cook, maid, awesome woman). Tomorrow I`m off to go back to San Cristòbal to take more classes and maybe to learn how to fix bikes. We`ll see. I`ll lable the photos later, but they are of the abandoned mansion here at La Quinta Piedra, where I am right now in Morelos. Also they are of Oaxaca, the ones at the bottom. More to come later. Well, not that much later. Turns out I can`t go to the party tonight after all. I have some packing to do and I need to talk to Jack, the guy that runs the project here. So... I`ll just update some stuff instead. I have been working on a project here in Tepoztlàn, Morelos for the last month if you were wondering. There is this really amazing piece of property that belonged to a former president in the 90`s and has since been abandoned and torn apart. The project that`s going on is to restore the buildings to make a school for anyone that wants to learn about permaculture and agriculture. It`s a pretty neat project, and the people that are working on it are amazing, inspiring, and down right quirky. I think I`ll come back here some day to see how things have progressed. My time in Oaxaca was really really good and found me living with a really nice woman and having a friend named Lalo who taught me all sorts of slang and expressions in spanish that I wasn`t learning in my classes. It`s like almost half way through january now so that means I have been in Mexico for 3 months just about. Time just keeps on going at it`s own pace whether you notice or not. I feel like I have been here forever and like I just got here simultaneously. Well, tomorrow is a new adventure, and right now is pretty awesome.


Bats in the basement of the mansion


the staircase that goes to the basement...


Alice standing at the entrance



danger




the interior of the mansion





A view into a room






Best grasshopper ever!!!





The ceramics I made in Oaxaca







Lalo
y
Yo





Me hanging upside down from a really tall bridge.




A view of the mountains in Oaxaca






My house in Oaxaca





Me incase you forgot what I look like





My toilet in Oaxaca...sorry no cucarachas in this photo





My room















5 comments:

jandy-bee said...

What a great update Anne. I love the words, and the pictures. All of them. The high speed shot of the bat in motion, the impossible but real grasshopper. What is the pendant of your necklace? Some part of a plant perhaps, like a seed pod? It is so neat to see the mansion I heard about, and your host home in Oaxaca. Plus any activity on your blog reassures me that you’re alive (very much so).

It is a clear sunny day in Lunenburg so the fresh blanket of snow is sparkling. Where the sun shines it is eye-stabbingly bright, and the shadows are slate-blue. It is 13 degrees at the moment, and that’s Fahrenheit. It promises to drop to below zero tomorrow, also Fahrenheit. I bet you’re jealous and longing to be here!

Marps said...

Hah, cold weather is something that I´m not really missing. San Cristobal is cold enough for me at the moment, and really it´s quite pleasurable. My necklace is a seed pod that I found on the street along with the string and the button to hold it together. I made it sometime in the first week of being in Oaxaca. I´m still totally alive, I promise.

Meredith said...

Poop! I just typed a lengthy note and then hit "publish" and thought I was done, but I guess I have to hit "publish" again in the next window and then it'll post the stupid comment. I'll test my hypothesis before writing the note all over again...

Meredith said...

Okay! Now I get it. Here are the main ideas of my note that got wiped out: (1) Your caption labeling gave me an idea for a title that would work if you wrote a memoir for your experience: "Never a Dull Floor." (2) G. Gary and I have put our house on the market and may move to Maine full time, or may not. Maybe we'll move to Cambridge since I miss the city like crazy. We'll see. (3) I sold my publishing company! (4) I'm writing a childhood memoir and hoping to interest a publisher down the road. (5) G. Gary is working hard to support us while he lets me follow a dream.
TTFN, and much love from Boxborough!

***michaelwave*** said...

Marps
This blog is so awesome.........
It warms my heart
Thanks for putting it together,
and you look so good and happy.
All the Best,
Mike