Thursday, February 11, 2010

Huichïhuayan y El Sotano de las Golondrinas

I hung out in xilitla for a good while, maybe 4 days.  I know it doesnt sound like much, but when youre life is on the run 4 days feels like an eternity.  It was a beautiful and relaxing eternity though.  I hung out at these tipis where the people are super rad and its right across from las pozas.  I could live in Xilitla for sure.  I met this really cool kid that ran the ziplines and he invited me to try them out.  So I zipped and zipped.  I did the 5 line course twice in the dark.  It feels like youre flying through space, just floating along through the jungle because you cant see anything.  Super fucking fun.  So I invited my zipline friend, Usmar, to come to Huichihuayan with me and camp for a night or two.  He hopped on his four wheeler and I hopped on my bike and we took off down the mountain änd to the river.   Its the biggest bluest river Ive ever swam in.  Gorgeous.  Usmar and I hung out, rode around on the 4 wheeler and visited some caves.  Yesterday morning I headed out to see el Sotano de las Golondrinas, here in Aquismon, and he headed back to Xilitla.  The Sotano is really really cool, but the road to get there is the most intense road Ive been on yet.  Up and Up and Up on rocks, in mud, on passes that are so steep I could barely push my bike let alone ride it.  And I just kept going, kept climbing.  I stayed with a family in the mountains that invited me as I was asking aropund for a place to put my tent.  And at 6 in the morning they woke me up and I went to see the sotano.  Its this huge cave that just drops into the earth and sparrows live inside.  Every morning they spiral upwards out of the cave, thousands of them.  They zip over your head making a really great wooshing sound and take off into the sunrise.  It was fantastic.  Right now Im about to get some lunch and head for the cascadas de tamul.  That should also be beautiful.  If you ever get a chance to visit La Huasteca region of Mexico...do it.

























No comments: